Friday 18 January 2013

Book Review

Firstly, I hate 'how to' manuals. This book is not that, and I think that's why I responded so well to it. It's short--80-ish pages, but worth every penny as I know I'll reread often.



The Lazy Runner by Laura Fountain



Amazon.com
Amazon.uk












I literally stumbled across this, and started to read it with caution. However, within two pages I was hooked. This was the absolute perfect book for me right now, as I've not been running long. The author starts right at the beginning of her journey--not at the start of her marathon training.



Now, don't get me wrong, I have no intention of running marathons, though I do have two races (a 10k and a 5k) this year. I wanted to know how someone else approached running--someone who wasn't 'sporty' like me. To my astonishment, it felt like it was written FOR me! Her experiences, her 'excuses' were mine. I related to her past attempts, related to her school PE jokes, and that was why I devoured this book.



"I have more determination than I had previously thought."



This line spoke to me. I had only been discussing that very fact with my husband days before. Two years ago, I wouldn't have run for a bus, let alone do it for fun!



"Running can make you feel invincible." TRUTH!



This book is so honest. It had me laughing, snorting and chuckling throughout. I read it in two short sessions between my 'run days'. The following day I set out for my usual 3k but something was different...



In my head I now had a mantra...and my determination was fierce. Inclines that I usually walk, I ran and kept running. I ran for my longest stint without taking a walking break AND did an extra lap. I felt fantastic...I felt invincible. It was the best run I'd had in, well, forever.



I do believe this book helped.



"You're not just training your legs to go the distance but your mind to believe you can do it."



The book is now FULL of highlights sentences and segments. Parts that will motivate me. And it's already worked for me. I ran. I pushed, I battled, I fought... I did it!



This book is a fantastic motivator for the newbie runner. I can't praise it enough. Please read it. You will not be sorry.



"You have the potential to be physically and mentally stronger than you realise."



No comments:

Post a Comment